The much anticipated TSSAA Board of Control meeting to decide contingency plans for prep football and girls’ soccer provided no satisfaction on Wednesday. The TSSAA office has been in conversations with Governor Bill Lee’s office to get an exemption from the governor’s emergency orders for the COVID-19 pandemic. The governor’s office is still reviewing the plans provided by the TSSAA and has given no indication regarding an exemption to allow the seasons to start on time.
The TSSAA Board of Control voted on Wednesday to delay a decision on any of the 4 possible contingency plans until receiving more guidance from Governor Lee’s task force. There is no timetable in place for when a vote might take place as the TSSAA will now wait on the governor’s task force. Until a decision is made, football and girls’ soccer(contact sports) will follow guidance from the TSSAA’s July 1st decision. Football and girls’ soccer have been restricted from beginning season preparations until August 30th with the earliest possible contest beginning in mid-September.
Bernard Childress, Executive Director of the TSSAA, updated the Board on the status of discussions with the Governor’s legal counsel.
“We are working with the Governor’s legal counsel and based on the conversation we are having, we think it is best to delay any vote on a contingency plan,” stated Childress.
“The Governor’s legal counsel stated that they need time to observe the data and work with us. There will come a time when we will have to make a decision on a contingency plan, but right now it is our opinion that we need to give their legal team the opportunity to see if it is needed in girls’ soccer and football.
“Their legal counselors are well aware of the TSSAA Sports Calendar and we will work to get an answer as soon as we can. TSSAA will not be making any further comment as the discussions with the Governor’s legal counsel are ongoing.
The TSSAA also announced that the proposed work session regarding reclassification, which was scheduled for July 1st, has been rescheduled for July 22nd. The Board of Control will meet at Siegel High School on the 22nd to discuss reclassification for football. The current classification is set to run through this season.
The pictures, material and information contained in this story may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten, or redistributed, for commercial gain, without the express written consent of Coffee County Broadcasting.