Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Never use ovens to heat a home

As overnight temperatures over the next few days will be in the mid 20’s, keeping your home warm may be of concern.

The Tennessee State Fire Marshals office says that you should NEVER use your oven (or stove) to heat your home. It’s a fire and burn hazard that’s an immediate risk to a home’s occupants. Additionally, heating an apartment or a home with an oven that’s on and open can also emit dangerous pollutants and gases such as carbon monoxide into your home.

The CDC has long warned to never use a gas range or oven for heating because it can cause a buildup of carbon monoxide inside your home. Carbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Everyone is at risk for CO poisoning. Infants, the elderly, people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more likely to get sick from CO. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 100,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 14,000 are hospitalized.

You May Also Like


A water main break in the New Union area has left two county schools with no water. New Union Elementary is without water and...


A Coffee County Sheriff’s Department deputy has been terminated after he was arrested for alleged DUI while on duty Thursday, Feb. 23. According to...


A tragic accident occurred on Monday night at 9:24 PM near 3261 Hillsboro Highway, resulting in the death of 60-year-old Timothy Sullivan. According to...


District superiority is up for grabs Friday night in Manchester. Coffee County Central’s Lady Red Raiders (no. 4 AP) and the Warren County Lady...